Trust Administration in Oakland, CA
Alameda County Estate Planning Lawyer
When you create a
trust, it is important to have someone in place to administer it. After an individual
passes away, their successor trustee must make sure the trust administration
process is handled correctly. In many cases, it is very helpful to enlist
the legal support of an estate planning lawyer at this point.
When you enlist the services of an Oakland estate planning lawyer to administer
a trust, you gain a great peace of mind as a trustee. It also takes a
great deal of pressure off your shoulders, preventing disgruntled family
members or loved ones from bringing complaints against you. To begin the
administration process, all beneficiaries or heirs must be informed that
the individual has passed away and that they were included in the trust.
This notice can be complex and confusing if not handled by an experienced lawyer.
What should I expect as a trustee?
For most trustee successors, handling all the required tasks can be very
difficult, especially if they have a regular job or other obligations.
Some of the basic responsibilities you will have to fulfill include:
- Collect death certificates
- Alert Social Security Administration
- Notify & file documents with probate court
- Contact & notify all beneficiaries
- Take an inventory of property & financial assets
- Safeguard items included in the trust
- Pay off any remaining debts
- Have assets appraised (for debts if necessary)
- Manage any trust investments
- Distribute property or assets to designated heirs
Though many of these tasks are straightforward, it can be a lot to handle
for even a qualified individual. I understand how difficult and confusing
this time can be, especially with the recent loss of a loved one.
If you would like to enlist my services,
contact my practice
at (415) 275-3283.